You are here
L.A. Tourism Launches DiscoverLosAngeles.com
The Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board (LA Tourism) this week unveiled discoverLosAngeles.com - a new global online resource for LA visitors and residents alike, designed and built by the digital marketing and technology agency Digitaria, a JWT Company.
The completely redesigned site uses a map-based neighborhood approach to introduce the vibe of each area, from Downtown to the beaches and the valley – as well as where to eat, shop and play, and top activity suggestions from celebrities and local personalities including actors Dermot Mulroney, Holly Robinson Peete and Stephen Moyer, basketball player Pau Gasol, skateboarder Tony Hawk and even Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, among many more:
- Curtis Stone, host of the popular TV show, “Top Chef Masters,” recommends the Getty Villa in the Pacific Palisades for its collection of Greek and Roman art and beautiful gardens.
- “The Biggest Loser” host Alison Sweeney, heads to The Hollywood Bowl for date night.
- American musician Moby visits the Hollywood Forever Cemetery for its architecture, Hollywood history, and special events like concerts and film screenings.
- Magic Johnson shares Beverly Hills restaurant, Via Alloro, for Italian food.
- Lead Mars Flight Director David Oh, who lives life on the red planet’s time, has suggestions for “night owls” like sushi at Pasadena restaurant Wokcano when looking for dinner at 2 a.m.
“Travel is becoming a truly social activity and today’s traveler increasingly wants helpful, general destination information and insider information to ensure the trip of a lifetime. So, we combined the best aspects of a travel guide with the best aspects of talking to a local. Our locals just happen to be famous and worldwide trend-setters,” said Don Skeoch, LA Tourism’s chief marketing officer.
DiscoverLosAngeles.com is the third significant travel and tourism site delivered by Digitaria, which earlier this year this year delivered Brand USA’s award-winning Discover America (http://www.discoveramerica.com/) website; as well as the San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau’s site for “America’s Finest City” (www.SanDiego.org).
“We designed DiscoverLosAngeles.com to be the definitive one-stop hub for comprehensive, interactive and current information about all that Los Angeles offers in a variety of lifestyle categories including culture, sports, attractions, nightlife and dining,” said Michael Brown, Digitaria’s VP of Media & Entertainment.
Some of the site’s special features include:
- An Experience Builder – Users can add any activity, including recommendations from the celebrities, to a “My LA Bucket List,” with a Google Maps feature indicating where selected activities are in relation to each other.
- Social Interaction – Social sites Facebook and Twitter are incorporated in to the site allowing real-time sharing and feedback, along with online services such as hotel booking capabilities and Open Table for restaurant reservations.
- A robust events calendar – A comprehensive and curated special events calendar integrating event feeds from Ticketmaster and ExperienceLA, as well as user-submitted events organized by interest and covering everything happening in LA from sports to entertainment to arts and culture.
- Virtual Tours – For the important meetings and conventions industry, meeting professionals can explore detailed 3-D tours of the Los Angeles Convention Center and L.A. Live entertainment complex from their office to better understand the event space options
The discoverLosAngeles.com launch is the latest installment in a new global destination branding campaign by LA Tourism, which began this spring with the rollout of a new destination logo that has Los Angeles written in script designed to resemble a celebrity signature. In the first quarter of 2013, an integrated marketing campaign will launch in select markets with television, print, digital, PR and promotional components.
Los Angeles enjoyed record tourism visitation in 2011, welcoming 40.4 million visitors from 90 countries, making it one of the most visited destinations in the U.S., and with the second highest share of U.S. overseas visitation (13.3 percent). The destination is projected to set another visitation record in 2012, with 41.3 million visitors.
For more information about the endless entertainment experiences offered in Los Angeles, go to discoverLosAngeles.com, “Like” facebook.com/LosAngelesFan or follow the destination on Twitter @discoverLA.